Friday, October 28, 2011

Friday Five - 10.28.11

Here are five random things I'm enjoying right now:

1. This mum.  Isn't it beautiful?  I am so glad that my sweet six year old neighbor was selling mums to raise money for her dance company, because this one makes me happy every time I see it.  You should get one, too!


2. My new iPhone.  I used the camera on it to take the photos in this post.  Pretty impressive for a phone camera, huh?  Everything about this phone is ten times better than the iPhone 3G I've been using since December 2008.  Hopefully I won't splurge on another phone until 2014! :)

3. Two reupholstered chairs that round out the seating of our living room.  I'm a little giddy over them for two reasons: 1) I feel like they are my own creations (even though I didn't reupholster them myself), and they make me proud because I'm not the most creative person. 2) The geometric print is perfectly feminine, so I love the contrast it creates with our leather furniture.  Here's the backstory on the chairs:  I shopped and shopped and shopped for affordable accent chairs, and I finally settled on these two that I found on sale at World Market. The original fabric was a gold & cream geometric print, but the gold wasn't a great match for the gold tone in our rug. So, while shopping for throw pillow fabric one day, this gorgeous fabric caught my eye because it was exactly the geometric print that I wanted to add to our living room.  Since the price was only $9.90/yd, I immediately bought plenty of yards to cover two chairs and called a local reupholstering company.  Much to my surprise, the reupholstery job was very affordable....and I couldn't be happier with the results.  I'm also pleased that the colors in this fabric are neutral, because that will make it easy to move these chairs into other rooms in the future.  (Please excuse the wrinkled drapes in the background - I haven't seen our steamer since we moved across the country!)


4. Pumpkin bread.  I look forward to making my late Grandma Johnson's recipe every Fall and Winter, and I've already made three (double!) batches this year.  Thank goodness I've given over half of those away!  What's your favorite recipe this time of year?

5. The blog Young House Love. {www.younghouselove.com}  This husband & wife team makes a living by writing this creative blog about renovating and decorating their house.  They are very talented, and they post a lot of inspiring "before" and "after" photos of their projects.  If you like DIY projects then I'm sure you'll enjoy their blog.

Happy weekend, everyone!

3 comments:

  1. Love the chairs!! I also saw pictures of the new dining room table and chairs and I think you made a great choice. You are doing such a good job of decorating!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the mum and the chairs! Something about purple flowers in the fall makes me smile:) Good to hear from you blogging sista!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the chairs! They were cute before, but I really think the new fabric is perfect! Lookin' good!!! Beautiful mum--I am sure Jessi enjoys seeing it every day in your flower bed!

    ReplyDelete

We would love to hear from you! If you do not have a google or blogger account, just select Name/URL from the drop down menu, type your name and press continue to leave a comment. Thanks for reading!