Saturday, November 19, 2011

Friday Five - 11.18.11

1.  As you may have heard, Justin Timberlake attended a USMC Birthday Ball in Virginia last week.  He wasn't a special guest or anything like that, he simply accepted an invitation from Corporal Kelsey DeSantis, USMC.  I have a lot of respect for JT for accepting the invitation and attending the ball, but I have even more respect for him after reading the blog post he wrote about his experience.  His words seem very heartfelt and sincere, and I encourage you to read about the evening he calls "life-changing."  (On another note, how cool would it have been to be seated at a table with him?!)

My Night At The Marine Corps Ball by Justin Timberlake

2.  While persuing Justin Timberlake's website for the first time, I noticed a post called So You Think You Can Dance??? with a YouTube video in it.  Because I appreciate talented dancers (and I love the show SYTYCD), I clicked on it and watched.  Wow.  This guy can MOVE, and his video has had over 15 million hits!


3.  Cinnamon Rolls - My mom is the best cinnamon roll maker I know.  Last year, I wanted her to teach me how to make them (for real this time, since most years I just watch her).  We decided to make The Pioneer Woman's cinnamon rolls since my mom thought PW's recipe sounded a little simpler than the recipe she has always used.  We made them, my mom decided PW's recipe was easier/faster to make, and they were melt-in-your-mouth delicious!  We're talking about making them sometime in the next week, and I can't wait.  (In case you decide to make them, I'll warn you that I am not a big fan of PW's maple coffee icing, but I do love vanilla or orange icing on them.)


4.  Chickabug - I recently discovered this company and blog, and I think it will be a great resource for future parties, showers and events.  Check out this post about DIY decorative paper lanterns; what an inexpensive way to decorate vertical space!

5.  My mom knows how to sew, and I do not.  I really want to learn so she is in the process of teaching me the basics.  We've made a bunch of cute burp cloths together, and this week we tackled a new project.  A pillow cover with cording.  Although my mom has sewn many different things, this was her first time to attempt a pillow cover.  The pillow cover part was super easy for her, but the cording was rather challenging.  It was so difficult that I just observed and did a little pinning while she did all of the real work.  It's finished except for hand stitching the opening along the bottom, and I think it turned out beautifully!  Thanks, Mom!

2 comments:

  1. How impressive ladies!! The pillow looks awesome and the piping, well, doubly impressed. I'll probably call you if I ever attempt that again. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your blog! :) I became a follower! :) Erin

    ReplyDelete

We would love to hear from you! If you do not have a google or blogger account, just select Name/URL from the drop down menu, type your name and press continue to leave a comment. Thanks for reading!